CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Let the religious people not offend the feelings non-religious ones

It is often said we should not offend the religious feelings and sentiments of the people. I think it should also be vice-versa. Religious people should also respect the feelings and sentiments of non-religious people and also of others.
It was during last week, residents in Choolaimedu had a horrible time when a group of local people celebrated `Adi Thiruvizha’ for a road side temple. As they celebrated the Thiruvizha by playing devotional songs from 4’o clock in the morning till 1.30 in the night through high-volume speakers put up at the entrance of four nearby streets, none of the residents in the area could sleep, watch TV or even attend phone calls.
No one can keep the door or windows open as the noise was unimaginably high. And as if that was not enough, the eighth day was the turn of an orchestra, again the songs were on the same high volume. No one needed to say that elderly people and children were the worst sufferers in the whole episode.
Having successfully disturbed, in fact tortured, the whole area for more than a week continuously, the `Adi Thiruvizha’ organizers chose to have a `fire walk’ (Thee midhi thiruvizha) on the last day, on the middle of the road blocking the whole way.
While no resident was dare to question the organizers, the policemen at the Choolaimedu police station which is just 50 mt feet away, did not come anywhere near to the `religious zone’.
What I should write further except to suggest you to read the first paragraph again.

2 comments:

logic2000 said...

It was in 1984 july, I was admitted for delivery in an emergency, the first delivery was a natural one, the doctors had said the second baby i was carrying would also be a natural birth. But i developed some complications, i had to be admitted all of a sudden and ceaserin was to be performed in a hurry to save the child. The doctor in the labour room, as she was preparing me told me "pray to God". I was shocked, I said "if I were to pray I would have gone to the temple and not come to hospital, I believe you and your team and cannot pray". She was shocked, told me "no, no, you must not talk like that. There is a supernatural power above us, we all act according to His dictates." I smiled and did not argue, but refused to pray.

The next ten days of post-operative care in the hospital was one of long sermons from the different doctors who came and told me that I was wrong, it was fortunate that God was kind despite my rude denial of His existence, that the whole team was too nervous to do the surgery as I was a non-believer. They tried their best to make me a theist!

Anonymous said...

hi,
one cannot agree more with what you have said.

Faith moves mountains...a good and touching opening for the other post.

Only problem is that people who wd say such things are in a miniscule minority.

we are all margninalized speaking abt the marginialized!

Still we should keep speaking up.

We have to continue the fight for sanity whichever way we can.

If not we, who else will do so?

TNG